[Haskell-cafe] No instance - but it could just put one in the context

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 22:39:59 UTC 2018

I'm puzzled by GHC's behaviour in the following program.

'baz = bar . foo' does not work because there is "no instance for ...".  But
if I manually assume those instances in the context all is fine.  Why can
GHC not infer that context?  Is there any extension or clever trick I can
use to get this to infer like I want?

Thanks,

Tom

{-# LANGUAGE MultiParamTypeClasses #-}
{-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies #-}
{-# LANGUAGE FlexibleContexts #-}

class Foo a b
class Bar a b
type family Quux a

foo :: ( Foo a b
       , b ~ Quux a )
    => a
    -> Quux a
foo = undefined

bar :: Bar a b
    => a
    -> b
bar = undefined

-- Doesn't work
-- No instance for (Bar (Quux a0) c0) arising from a use of ‘bar’
-- No instance for (Foo a0 (Quux a0)) arising from a use of ‘foo’
--baz = bar . foo

baz' :: ( Foo a (Quux a)
        , Bar (Quux a) b )
     => a