[Haskell-cafe] Haskell-Cafe Digest, Vol 174, Issue 13

Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at swierstra.net
Tue Feb 13 21:14:50 UTC 2018

This pattern is quite common; even so common that over the years many systems have been constructed to support this way of programming. The original term was Attribute Grammars, a term invented by Donald Knuth.

The http://hackage.haskell.org/package/uuagc <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/uuagc> system supports programming in this way in Haskell; it allows you to compose the semantics of an AST in a compositional way. The Utrecht Haskell compiler was built with it.

If you do not want to use a separate system you may want to use the embedding of attribute grammars in Haskell; a bit more cumbersome, but interesting since the completeness of the attribute grammar is checked using the Haskell type system:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/AspectAG <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/AspectAG>

The thesis of Marcos Viera describes the underlying system in great detail: https://dspace.library.uu.nl/handle/1874/269786

Best,
 Doaitse