[Haskell-cafe] avoiding parens in postfix applicative notation

Neil Mayhew neil_mayhew at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 6 17:37:14 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-06 07:59 AM, MarLinn wrote:
> I've been bitten multiple times because of my own invented operators.
> What was (>>?!) again? Or (^>>>&)? The more I use Haskell the more I
> tend to solutions like that first dead-simple one.

I agree.

Also, since

func <$> "foo" <*> "bar"

is the lifted equivalent of

func "foo" "bar"

I find it unintuitive to read or write the logic in the opposite order.

Whether we like it or not, Haskell is fundamentally a right-to-left
language. Or, to look at it another way, top-down corresponds to
left-to-right, and bottom-up corresponds to right-to-left. Perhaps it
depends on whether you're a top-down thinker (like me) or a bottom-up
thinker. I much prefer `where` to `let`, for example.