[Haskell-cafe] MonadBaseControl and Freer

John Wiegley johnw at newartisans.com
Thu Feb 1 23:08:58 UTC 2018

LB> As far as I understand, MonadBaseControl class does the following:
LB> captures the current state. Performs the action passed to lifeBaseWith or
LB> other wrapper functions. Returns the result wrapped in the captured state.

LB> Here's the instance I could come up with.

LB> instance (MonadBase m (Eff r), Typeable m, SetMember Lift (Lift m) r) =>
LB> MonadBaseControl m (Eff r) where
LB>     type StM (Eff r) a = Eff r a
LB>     liftBaseWith f = lift (f return)
LB> restoreM = id

LB> It obviously doesn't work, but I currently have no idea how to fix it,
LB> because `Eff r a' contains the state that needs to be captured and cannot
LB> be decomposed without losing data as far as I can see.

Hmmm... all these type classes are getting in my way. I thought I had a good
start here, but it's proving hard to use. Maybe others have an idea how to
continue.

{-# LANGUAGE DataKinds #-}
{-# LANGUAGE FlexibleContexts #-}
{-# LANGUAGE FlexibleInstances #-}
{-# LANGUAGE MultiParamTypeClasses #-}
{-# LANGUAGE ScopedTypeVariables #-}
{-# LANGUAGE TupleSections #-}
{-# LANGUAGE TypeApplications #-}
{-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies #-}
{-# LANGUAGE TypeOperators #-}
{-# LANGUAGE UndecidableInstances #-}

module FreerQuestion where

import Control.Monad.Base
import Control.Monad.Freer
import Control.Monad.Freer.Internal
import Control.Monad.Freer.Reader
import Control.Monad.Freer.State
import Control.Monad.Trans.Class
import Control.Monad.Trans.Control
import Data.OpenUnion
import Data.OpenUnion.Internal

instance MonadBase m m => MonadBaseControl m (Eff '[m]) where
    type StM (Eff '[m]) a = a
    liftBaseWith f = sendM (f runM)
    restoreM = return

instance (Data.OpenUnion.LastMember x (r ': s),
          Data.OpenUnion.Internal.FindElem x s (Reader e : r : s),
          MonadBase m x,
          MonadBaseControl m (Eff (r ': s)))
      => MonadBaseControl m (Eff (Reader e ': r : s)) where
    type StM (Eff (Reader e ': r ': s)) a = StM (Eff (r ': s)) a
    liftBaseWith f = do
        e <- ask
        raise $ liftBaseWith $ \runInBase ->
            f $ \k -> runInBase (runReader e k)
    restoreM = raise . restoreM

instance (Data.OpenUnion.LastMember x (r ': s),
          MonadBase m x,
          Data.OpenUnion.Internal.FindElem x s (State e : r : s),
          MonadBaseControl m (Eff (r ': s)))
      => MonadBaseControl m (Eff (State e ': r : s)) where
    type StM (Eff (State e ': r ': s)) a = StM (Eff (r ': s)) (a, e)
    liftBaseWith f = do
        e <- get @e
        raise $ liftBaseWith $ \runInBase ->
            f $ \k -> runInBase (runState e k)
    restoreM x = do
        (a, e :: e) <- raise (restoreM x)
        put e
        return a

foo :: (Member (Reader Int) r, Member (State Int) r, Member IO r) => Eff r ()
foo = do
    r <- ask @Int
    put @Int 1000
    () <- control $ \runInBase -> do
        putStrLn "In IO!"
        s' <- runInBase $ do
            put @Int 2000
        putStrLn "Back in IO!"
        return s'
    s <- get @Int
    send @IO $ print s

main :: IO ()
main = runM . evalState (200 :: Int) . runReader (10 :: Int) $ foo