[Haskell-cafe] Find out which part of code are causing parallelism?

ducis ducis_cn at 126.com
Fri Dec 28 08:19:09 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am working on parallelising some program, however I just found out that without inserting any parallism manually
the program is already parallelised, presumably by some of the libraries referenced, as long as I enable -threaded
and +RTS -N8.

Unfortunately this parallism are actually slowing down my program, probably due to being of too fine granularity.
For example, with +RTS -N8 I have
47.03user 38.06system 0:21.68elapsed 392%CPU
While with +RTS -N1 I have
16.57user 0.45system 0:17.02elapsed 100%CPU

In .prof file I can't find whether a function fired a spark or how much 'system' time a function used.
Nor can I find any names of functions/modules browsing through eventlog with ghc-events.
Is there a way to find out which functions/modules are causing any parallelism at all?

I am also trailing the post with the imports I used in case anyone immediately recognises parallelism by default in the package.
import Control.DeepSeq
import GHC.Generics (Generic, Generic1)
import Text.Parsec
import Data.List
import Data.Vector.Unboxed(fromList, (!))
import qualified Data.Vector as V
import qualified Data.Map as M
import qualified Data.Set as S
import Data.Char
import Control.Applicative((*>),(<*))
import Test.QuickCheck.Monadic
import Test.QuickCheck
import Control.Monad
import Text.Regex
import Control.Applicative ((<$>), (<$), (<|>))
import GHC.Read (readLitChar)
import Data.Char(isPrint)
import Text.ParserCombinators.ReadP
import Text.Show.Pretty
import Data.Functor
import Data.Maybe
import System.Environment(getArgs)
import Text.Read(readMaybe)
import Text.Printf
import Data.Dynamic
import Debug.Trace
import Data.Ratio
import qualified Data.DList as D
import Control.Monad.Trans.Writer.Strict
import Control.Monad.Trans.Class
import Data.Typeable(Typeable)
import qualified Data.HashMap.Lazy as H

Best,