[Haskell-cafe] handling NULL value in database query with Maybe (or other ...)

Damien Mattei mattei at oca.eu
Tue Dec 18 11:11:33 UTC 2018

unfortunately no i'm using  Database.MySQL.Simple
and the doc mention also:

Handling null values

The type of a result tuple will look something like this:

(Text, Int, Int)

Although SQL can accommodate NULL as a value for any of these types,
Haskell cannot. If your result contains columns that may be NULL, be
sure that you use Maybe in those positions of of your tuple.

(Text, Maybe Int, Int)

If query encounters a NULL in a row where the corresponding Haskell type
is not Maybe, it will throw a ResultError exception.

but when i put Maybe in my code like this:

forM_ bd_rows_WDS $ \(Maybe a) ->
      putStrLn $  Text.unpack a

i have this error at compilation:

*Main> :load UpdateSidonie
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( UpdateSidonie.hs, interpreted )

UpdateSidonie.hs:255:27: error:
    Not in scope: data constructor ‘Maybe’
    Perhaps you meant variable ‘maybe’ (imported from Data.Maybe)

255 |     forM_ bd_rows_WDS $ \(Maybe a) ->
    |                           ^^^^^
Failed, no modules loaded.

Damien.Mattei at unice.fr, Damien.Mattei at oca.eu, UNS / OCA / CNRS