[Haskell-cafe] Alternative instance for non-backtracking parsers

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 16:39:54 UTC 2018

I'm tempted to say that for things like HTML and CSV, the real reason not
to use a parser combinator library is that "standard" turns out to mean
pretty much nothing whatsoever. And you want to use someone else's
battle-tested workarounds developed over years for a "standard format"
that's more or less a free-for-all.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM Bryan Richter <b at chreekat.net> wrote:

> >> [*] To the parser experts on this list: How much time should
> >> a parser take that processes a 50MB, 130000-line text file,
> >> extracting 5 values (String, UTCTime, Int, Double) from each line?
> >
> > Not an expert, but for something as (relatively!) standard
> > as CSV, I'd probably go for a specialized solution like
> > 'cassava', which seems like it does quite well according to
> > https://github.com/haskell-perf/csv
>
> Playing the devil's advocate here....
>
> If parser combinators aren't great for "relatively standard" things
> such as CSV, then what *are* they good for?

brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com