[Haskell-cafe] Aeson memory use

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 20:41:07 UTC 2018

you might be interested in John Ky's post on hw-json - it is expected
that there's quite a blowup.
On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:54 PM Lana Black <lanablack at amok.cc> wrote:

> Hello Cafe,
>
> Recently while trying to optimize some code, I noticed that aeson
> requires quite a substantial amount of memory when parsing map-like
> structures. The quick example I crafted [1] is quite surprising. In
> order to parse an 11 megabyte file aeson requires around 300 megabytes
> of memory (according to the heap profiler), and the total memory
> footprint (according to htop) jumps to around 700 megabytes.
>
> Is there a way to reduce this number to something less insane? I suspect
> that I might be doing something wrong here, but I can't exactly see what.
>
> [1] https://github.com/greydot/aeson-example

A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent of a
black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets surrounding a
quote from a literary giant of weeniedom like Heinlein or Dr. Who.
        -- Chris Maeda