[Haskell-cafe] hackage style

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Apr 11 20:24:57 UTC 2018

Am 11.04.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Gershom B:
> The problem with that particular README is that it is a text file.
> Nearly all the readme files these days are in markdown, which wraps. For
> text files, we do something very basic and render in a <pre> block,
> which does not wrap.
> To improve display of such readme files I see three options. A) use a
> smaller font only for pre blocks, so that more text fits, without
> rewrapping.

Not enough space for that.

> B) allow text files to rewrap.
If you throw in replacing start-of-line blanks with   this even
preserves indentation. Also, use a fixed-width font.
It's going to look ugly though.

> C) force the content _only_ for such files to always be below a
> clear, and as such, below the entire properties table.

This is going to be horrible. Site visitors will find the same
information in different places, depending on something that they don't
know before they visit the page.

Let me add a few more options:

D) Redesign the page so that the README always takes up the full width.
E) Redesign the sidebar so that it is narrower. This sidebar is way too
wide, you almost have a two-column layout here.
F) Move the sidebar content into its own full-width section.
G) Look at how GitHub, GitLab, etc. place this kind of information,
steal the best layout ideas from there.

H) Move the sidebar information into a mouse-over flyout. (Not sure
whether that's a good idea.)

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jo