[Haskell-cafe] Mutable data structures and asynchronous exceptions

Jonas Scholl anselm.scholl at tu-harburg.de
Thu Sep 28 19:55:48 UTC 2017

If you are in ST, you can not modify anything externally visible without
using unsafe functions. If an exception occurs at any point, your
changes would remain in some broken state, but there would be no
reference to it, so they are just garbage collected and nothing bad
happens. If you need externally visible changes, you have to use IO, but
then you also have the full arsenal of exception handling functions at
your disposal. If you write code which is polymorphic and can either
work in IO or ST, it can not have any visible side effects and thus you
can ignore any exceptions in it (because you could runST it in
completely pure code).

If you think of your array list, lets look at possible signatures for
adding an element:

addPure :: ArrayList a -> a -> ArrayList a

Clearly this just copies the whole array every time, there is nothing
mutable here.

addST :: ArrayList s a -> a -> ST s ()

This one is mutable, but you can never get out of ST with this
ArrayList. While you are in ST, it doesn't matter if an async exception
interrupts you, because you will throw away the result of the ST action
anyway (and thus your broken ArrayList).

addST' :: ArrayList a -> a -> ST s (ArrayList a)

Has to copy the whole array because you can implement addPure with this
and runST.

addIO :: ArrayList a -> a -> IO ()

This can modify the list, but it can (and has to) also handle
exceptions. This is the only one which Java provides.

Regarding the monadic polymorphic (you are talking about MonadPrim,
right?) functions: They can not handle exceptions, because they might be
used in an ST context. But as stated earlier, if you compose them to
another action in some MonadPrim, it will be exception safe because you
can just apply runST to it, constraining MonadPrim to ST and getting a
pure value out of it (and such a value never needs to handle exceptions).

Of course, all this changes as soon as you use unsafeThaw in ST without
proving that you have the ONLY reference to that buffer/array/...