[Haskell-cafe] issues with ad-hoc polymorphic typeclass instances

Jonas Scholl anselm.scholl at tu-harburg.de
Sat Sep 2 05:48:16 UTC 2017

Do addWithEnv and mulWithEnv need to be functions in a type class?
Couldn't you just define them as normal functions? Then all the problems
with undecidable instances are gone. I also don't see how having them in
a type class helps you in any way if you want to define such a far
reaching instance for it. Are there cases where you would need another
instance? If not, then putting it in a plain function is the way to go.
If yes, then you can not define Op and Env for the type of your OpEnv
instance, which seems counterintuitive. Otherwise you would run into
overlapping instances and I don't know if you want that, probably not.