[Haskell-cafe] Haskell CI with many repositories/packages

Jeroen Bransen jeroen at chordify.net
Tue Oct 24 09:33:24 UTC 2017

Hi cafe,

Does anyone know of a good setup for doing continuous integration with a
set of Haskell packages, each in its own repository? Just building
everything upon every commit is not so hard, but to speed up building
times I'd like to build and test only the minimal set of packages. In
particular, at a commit for some package A, I would like to build and
test A and all packages that depend on A.

The problem is that most CI tools use some notion of 'build artefact',
which Stack doesn't really seem to give me. Ideally building a package
results in some object file, which can then be used by the other
packages. When building failed, packages that depend on it can still use
the last succesful build. I've tried to look up some Haskell projects,
but most of them seem to use some ad hoc setup.

Some pointers are appreciated, as we are using Gitlab a gitlab-runner
specific option would be great, but I am also open to use Jenkins or
other tools. And I guess my main struggle now is on the stack/Haskell side.

Regards,
Jeroen Bransen