[Haskell-cafe] random library

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Wed Oct 11 03:11:58 UTC 2017

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 8:48 PM, Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
>
> Before the release, I would like to replace the random package since
> it is slow.  I'm looking for a random library which is
> - fast
> - thread-safe (good for concurrent use)
>
> Any recommendations?

Just to make it more interesting, I should mention that the RNG
should be not just statistically random, but should in fact be
crypto random (resist predictability through cryptanalysis when
properly seeded).

So indeed there are two more issues here:

 - Securely seeding the RNG (likely using the OS API for
   random seeds, and/or the RDSEED/RDRAND instructions on
   Intel CPUs), IIRC we can that from cryptonite, I hope
   at a reasonable cost.

 - Choosing a suitable DRBG based on the seed.  Likely again
   something from cryptonite.

Some time back I posted to the cryptography list about the
soundness of relying on RDRAND in cryptonite's RNG (uses
it instead of /dev/urandom and the like when available).
The rough consensus IIRC was not rely solely on RDRAND.
I never went back to write a PR to address that...

http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2016-November/thread.html#30859

--
	Viktor.