[Haskell-cafe] Speculation, OT: Program a Spreadsheet

Neil Mayhew neil_mayhew at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 20 19:09:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-19 01:39 PM, Olaf Klinke wrote:

    So instead of enhancing a spreadsheet format I’d rather have a
    scripting language with a workbook file format à la Mathematica,
    where comments, code and results of computations are displayed
    together. Changing a formula triggers change in the results. (The
    workbooks I’ve seen don’t do that.) Input data and intermediate
    results can be hidden or expanded via mouse click. Results can be
    traced back through the workbook’s formulae up to the input data.
    (The latter is not always easy in spreadsheets.)

Olaf, have you looked at Jupyter <http://jupyter.org/> at all? This now
has a backend for Haskell and supports many of the things you mention.

​