[Haskell-cafe] Speculation, OT: Program a Spreadsheet

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 23:51:34 UTC 2017

Hi Brandon, Olaf,

I did not mean to be a jerk. I think Olaf has an itch and a good idea of
how to scratch it, and it could be the basis for a great project. I've
never used Mathematica, so I have a hard time visualizing what he is
driving at. My apologies if I was inappropriate.

It is reasonable to ask whether there would be a reasonable user base for a
functional programming language/spreadsheet. My intuition is that there
would be among more advanced spreadsheet users. So that is obviously a
point of disagreement, but that is OK. We should probably debate that.

I also think he is talking about a different thing than I am, and what this
thread has been apart thus far. It is a Bad Thing (in the Winnie the Pooh
sense) when threads turn into fibers. I think Olaf's idea/itch is actually
quite good, and deserves a thread of its own.

With apologies,

Trent.