[Haskell-cafe] Speculation, OT: Program a Spreadsheet

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Nov 19 12:04:04 UTC 2017

Am 19.11.2017 um 08:05 schrieb trent shipley:
> * Is a spreadsheet you can program from the spreadsheet a reasonable goal?

I.e. use the same programming language for cells formulae and scripts?
Yes, that's very much reasonable.

> * Has it been done?

Not in any mainstream spreadsheet. Which boils down to two: Excel and
Open/Libre Office Calc.
Excel offers VBA.
Calc is actually language-agnostic and uses URLs and XML to tie things
together. It currently supports BeanShell (Java-without-types, it
seems), Java, JS, Python, and OO Basic.

> So the plan is to take something like GNUmeric or LibreOffice Calc and
> graft on a primitive function sheet interpreter.

The main point is that you'd have to replace the formular language.
I do not think that Calc was made for that.

> It would be natural to use C++,

You'd instantly kill adoption with that. Only a minimal part of the Calc
user base is even remotely capable of coding formulae in C++, and even
of these, a substantial fraction would be able but unwilling.

 > but the astute will note that a
> spreadsheet basically does not rewrite cells (unless you use a circular
> reference), so I'd also like to use a functional language, maybe Haskel.

You don't want to inline the formulae of other cells anyway, because
then the calculation will be done twice: Once to fill the referenced
cell, and once as part of the referencing cell.

So for reference cycles, you'll rely on whatever the spreadsheet is
already doing to deal with them.

> * Would using a functional language as a basic language of the project
> save effort and intellectual load?

That depends on whether you're talking about the implementation language
or the cell/macro language.

For the implementation language, you'll save the most time by using
whatever you already know. Unless the project is going to last longer
than, say, two years. And if you plan on getting other people to join
the project, you'll want the language with the largest pool of
interested and able people, which is essentially guesswork but I'd
avoid, say, the VBA or PHP crowd ;-)

For the user-facing language, do whatever is easy to use for a
non-programmer. Haskell should work fine, but prepare to collect
references to tutorials, and what does *not* work fine is performance
predictions, particularly not for nonprogrammers. This probably means
you need strict evaluation, which means even if it looks like Haskell
it's going to be an entirely different language.

> In the longer term I'd like as much of the spreadsheet programmable as a
> spreadsheet to be written to run on the JVM.
> As near as I can tell near future Java and typed functional languages,
> include the following options:
>
> Eta,
> Frege,
> Kotlin and,
> Scala.

I don't know any of these well enough to make any recommendations.

However, for the user-facing language, you need this:
1) As easy to learn as possible.
2) Scales well to a few thousand lines of code. The learning curve must
not have bumps along that road, because with every bump, a substantial
fraction of the user base will be deterred from progressing to more
complicated tasks.
3) You'll need good support for large-scale programming if you want to
enable "just calling" into third-party modules (which would be pretty
appealing to people who use Calc for nontrivial stuff). The JVM excels
at this, BTW, though if you don't use Java, a substantial fraction of
Maven modules will be awkward to use.

For (3), you'll need static typing.
For (1) - and arguably (2) and (3) as well - you need something that is
excellent at type inference.

Type inference does not work well for updatable data structures, so you
will want something that excels at handling immutable data. Which
essentially rules out C++ or any other imperative language.
The type system is a real problem. For many real-world situations you
need dependent types, but these have complicated error situations so
newbies will usually be unable to deal with it, which means a bump in
the learning curve. I don't know of a good way to deal with that, it's
just on the list of things that I routinely check if somebody asks me to
take a look at his great new language :-) (Haskell people excel at
bending its type system to simulate all kinds of things, and I wouldn't
be surprised if nobody had tried to achieve most dependent-type benefits
from Haskell's type system; however, people using such a type framework
will need to know the Haskell type system and the internals of the
framework to make sense of any error messages that come out of a type
bug, so this is a variant of programmer's golf, not something you want
for newbies and learners.)

The JVM would be desirable, but typical .jar modules make heavy use of
mutable data. So you need something that's alien to mutable data types
but not incompatible with then; that's a relative fine line that the
language design would have to strike.
I'd probably use a language that allows mutables but disallows aliases
to them. Clean does this via the type system, other strategies might be
work. However, given that arbitrary modules from the JVM ecosystem might
throw aliased updateable references left and right, all guarantees are
off as soon as a computation relies on data provided from a JVM module,
so maybe it's still not worth using that. (Java folks have been thinking
about "value types", i.e. immutables, for a while now, but I don't see
that coming any year soon.)

Evalutation strategy is another issue.
Non-strict has some nice properties, in particular you don't need to
differentiate between an expression and its value. However, nonstrict is
difficult to control performance-wise, and I still see people struggle
if they see that their code is unexpectedly slow.

> Note that a spreadsheet needs to give the satisfaction of immediate
> results, or failing immediate results, the sensation of actively
> working, so if the language could be interpreted that would be a huge help.

+1

> * Which combination of typed, compiled, interpreted, FOSS functional
> language that runs on the JVM, JAVA, Haskell, C++, C, used in that order
> of preference, makes the most sense for the Java compatible functional
> language at the top of the preference hierarchy?

C++ and C aren't worth it if you plan to go for the JVM.
Don't know if there's a useful JVM port of Haskell.

You *can* interface with OO using XML descriptors and such, so the JVM
isn't your only option. You could even use (or invent) a language that
compiles to binary, with LLVM that has become a realistic option.
However, plan to invest some time into understanding LLVM.

> Note also, that I have only the equivalent of an AA degree from a CIS,
> not a CS, perspective, so the odds are the whole idea is vaporware,
> unless I can determine feasibility and desirability,

I suspect that no existing language fits the bill.
Given your background, you'll need somebody with language design
experience; language design is hard because of so many conflicting goals.

 > then sweet talk
> real developers to help out.

That's a good plan :-)