[Haskell-cafe] uninstalling libraries

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 04:14:59 UTC 2017

The problem is that the package db contains only what ghc needs to be able
to use the library; not the additional information needed to safely remove
it. (There are other package systems with this problem, notably Apple's.
Apple decided that instead of solving it, they would only support
applications that are complete bundles in and of themselves.) And arguably
it doesn't actually belong in ghc-pkg insofar as it's not intended to do
anything but store the information needed for ghc to link against packages.

This is something of a nasty problem, considering that storing uninstall
information separately is not particularly robust. Perhaps ghc-pkg should,
if it doesn't already, support extension fields that e.g. cabal can use to
store uninstall information. (But even that potentially has problems, given
that people are known to copy package registration information between
package databases. If there is uninstall information in there, what happens
if someone uninstalls via one or the other copy?)