[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 12:56:53 UTC 2017

This is not an issue about 8.2.2 per se, but 8.2 changes in general: Recent
discussions on Haskell Cafe showed serious problems with Emacs'
haskell-mode due to some ad hoc changes like
https://phabricator.haskell.org/D3651. Related GitHub issues:

   https://github.com/haskell/haskell-mode/issues/1553
   https://github.com/haskell/haskell-mode/issues/1496

It should be noted that the output of GHC(i) is actually part of GHC's
interface, so in this light, there have been some breaking changes,
probably unintended, but nevertheless. So my question is: Is there a chance
to revert some of these ad hoc changes and/or add some flags to get the old
behavior back? I guess that Emacs + haskell-mode is one of the most
important IDEs, so it would be a pity to worsen the situation there.

I'm quite aware that it is very late in the release cycle, but it would be
extremely nice if there was something which can be done. In the future it
might make sense to co-operate with the haskell-mode team a bit more,
perhaps adding some tests regarding the required output format etc. to
GHC's test suite.

Cheers,
   S.