[Haskell-cafe] A new type of newtype --- Type-level instance diversification and resolution (tl; dr)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue May 30 00:52:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.05.2017, 21:26 -0400 schrieb Albert Y. C. Lai:
> class MyOrd (resolver :: k) a where
>      mycmp :: p resolver -> a -> a -> Ordering

neat!

Have you considered using Symbol (i.e. type-level strings) instead of
an arbitrary kind k? Would that have any advantages or disadvantages?

I wonder because of

> I thank jadrian from IRC for proposing "named instance":
>
> > so instead of "instance Num n => Monoid (Sum n) where" we'd write
> > e.g.
> > "instance Sum of Num n => Monoid n where"   and use it as
> > "Sum.mempty"

and “names” are more often than not “strings”.

But then, arbitary kinds are more flexible, e.g. when you want to
parametrize the resolver:

data PointWise r
instance MyOrd r a -> MyOrd (PointWise r) [a]

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner