[Haskell-cafe] exporting Constructors as pattern-only

Jon Purdy evincarofautumn at gmail.com
Fri May 19 09:10:52 UTC 2017

I believe you can use unidirectional pattern synonyms, and only export the
patterns, not the constructors.

{-# LANGUAGE PatternSynonyms #-}
module Tee (T, t1, t2, pattern T1, pattern T2) where

data T = MkT1 Bool | MkT2 Int | …
pattern T1 a <- MkT1 a
pattern T2 a <- MkT2 a
…
t1 :: Bool -> T
t2 :: Int -> T
…

You can pattern-match on T1 just fine, but if you try to use it as a
constructor you’ll get “non-bidirectional pattern synonym ‘T1’ used in an
expression”.