[Haskell-cafe] List instance of Alternative: why (++)?

Joe Quinn headprogrammingczar at gmail.com
Sat May 6 13:02:15 UTC 2017

The documentation for Alternative describes it as "a monoid over an
applicative functor". That makes for the following documented laws for
Alternative:

empty <|> x = x = x <|> empty

This makes your coalesce a valid (<|>) if you take empty = [], but as
Chris points out it's not as intuitive from the perspective of certain
other nice-to-have properties.