[Haskell-cafe] One-Off detection. Question about Space/Time complexity

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Wed Mar 22 18:48:06 UTC 2017

I think the space must be O(m+n) since you are using strict Text values.
But even if you weren't, you're using s1 and s2 in more than one place so
they will be shared, leading to them both being fully in memory at once.

The minimum possible space complexity could well be O(1) if using String or
lazy Text.

The time complexity looks like O(min(m,n)), because that's the cost of
`zip`/`filter`, not counting the cost of loading the two Texts into memory
in the first place (which will be O(m+n)). If you used String, it'd be
O(m+n) since that's the cost of the two calls to `length`. I think the
minimum possible time complexity will be O(min(m,n)), and that could
include the cost of loading the strings too.