[Haskell-cafe] Package Management with Stack?

Jun Inoue jun.lambda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 00:37:48 UTC 2017

Thanks for the suggestion, Adam.  That does it for xmonad-contrib.
Unfortunately, it fails when I go on to add xmonad-extras, probably
because the version of xmonad already installed can't be resolved with
the available version(s) of xmonad-extras.  (I forgot to note exactly
which packages I had before, so I'm installing these things one by
one, based on compilation errors of ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs.)

  $ stack install xmonad-extras hint-0.6.0 libmpd-0.9.0.6 --resolver lts-8.4

  Error: While constructing the build plan, the following exceptions
were encountered:

  In the dependencies for xmonad-extras-0.12.1:
      hint-0.6.0 must match >=0.3.3.3 && <0.5 (latest applicable is 0.4.3)
      libmpd-0.9.0.6 must match >=0.8 && <0.9 (latest applicable is 0.8.0.5)
      xmonad-0.13 must match >=0.10 && <0.13 (latest applicable is 0.12)
      xmonad-contrib must match >=0.10 && <0.13, but the stack
configuration has no specified version
                     (latest applicable is 0.12)

  Recommended action: try adding the following to your extra-deps in
/home/jun/.stack/global-project/stack.yaml:
  - xmonad-contrib-0.12

  You may also want to try the 'stack solver' command
  Plan construction failed.

Adding the fact that I seem to have to list a lot of deps on the
command line or in stack.yaml and Brandon's suggestion that I'm using
this tool for the wrong purpose, this seems like a deal breaker for me
:(

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 4:11 AM, Adam Bergmark <adam at bergmark.nl> wrote:
> I use the global stack environment to install most executables, it works
> best when the package is in a snapshot of course. There is no need to change
> the global config, try this: stack install xmonad-contrib X11-xft-0.3.1
> --resolver lts-8.4
>
>  You can also look for a stack.yaml in the repo of the executable and use
> that resolver + any extra deps on the command line, that'll most likely work
> even if the package isn't in a snapshot.
>
> HTH,
> Adam
>

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 at 18:56 Matt <parsonsmatt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Stack does have a notion of a global project, which it uses if you're not
>> in a project directory. The error message you received:
>>
>>   Error: While constructing the build plan, the following exceptions
>>   were encountered:
>>
>>   In the dependencies for xmonad-contrib-0.13:
>>       X11-xft must match >=0.2, but the stack configuration has no
>>       specified version (latest applicable is 0.3.1)
>>
>>   Recommended action: try adding the following to your extra-deps in
>>   /home/jun/.stack/global-project/stack.yaml:
>>   - X11-xft-0.3.1
>>
>> tells you how to make X11-xft-0.3.1 available to the global project, which
>> should allow you to install xmonad-contrib into this global package.
>>
>> Matt Parsons
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Stack is not a package manager. It is a reproducible builds tool. Ad hoc
>>> usage like you are doing is outside of its purview.
>>>
>>> Also, last I checked, for some reason xmonad-contrib wasn't in stackage,
>>> so stack's primary mechanism for avoiding conflicts fails.
>>>
>>> --
>>> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
>>> associates
>>> allbery.b at gmail.com
>>> ballbery at sinenomine.net
>>> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad
>>> http://sinenomine.net

Jun Inoue