[Haskell-cafe] CEF3 bindings and game dev in Haskell

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Mar 10 07:05:44 UTC 2017

Am 10.03.2017 um 00:53 schrieb MarLinn:
> If I want to
> write browser games or "dynamic web sites", I throw JavaScript libraries
> at the walls, see what sticks, call it "modern coding", go to the liquor
> store and reconsider my life.

YMMD!

> My own favorite approach goes even further. I propose that many of the
> problems arise because the existing frameworks impose too many
> non-functional ideas, so the "purest" way to go forward would be a fresh
> framework on the basis of only /SDL/ and /reactive banana/. That might
> sound like overkill for a simple non-game GUI,

There is no such thing as a simple GUI, game or otherwise.
Look at whatever GUI toolkit you like, be it QT, Java's approaches, or
WWW apps: It took *two decades* (on the average) to get from "barely
workable" to "simple commercial form filling is actually simple for the
developer".
I looked into the all-new Vaadin 8 release just yesterday, and now,
after 15 years of development, they're proud to add type safety to some
APIs. And that's not because they don't know what they're doing, Vaadin
is considered one of the best frameworks for building cross-platform
commercial applications.

So: Whatever you're doing GUI-wise, /nothing/ is going to be overkill.

(For cross-platform stuff, you need expertise in SDL, GTK+, or whatever
you use on the desktop, Javascript in Browsers, and about the specific
shenanigans for both Android and IOS for which most people use
Javascript anyway.)

> Be assured, I don't want to diminish your work, it's probably useful to
> a certain subset of programmers. What I'm disputing is just if it's the
> single best way forward.

Even then it can be be useful lessons learned for the full approach I think.

Regards,
Jo