[Haskell-cafe] CEF3 bindings and game dev in Haskell

Maksymilian Owsianny maksymilian.owsianny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 21:52:38 UTC 2017

Hey

I'm interested in making gamedev in haskell more viable and one thing
that I believe is missing in that part of the environment is a good
GUI story. So I decided to create proper bindings to cef3, you can
check out what I've done so far [here][1]. In this current version
I basically took the work done by Daniel Austin [here][2] split it
into parts to prevent my machine from dying from lack of memory and
packed it up with some nix glue for convenient usage. Now all this
doesn't look like much but it sill took me much more time then I'm
willing to admit in public. That's one of the eternal truths of
software development, that everything always takes an order of
magnitude more time then you suspect it would.

Anyway, what I would like to do here is add support for all platforms.
Create some nice scripts that help with automatizing building,
developing and deployment of code with this library for users.
Possibly write a script that automatically generates bindings from
c headers to bring this lib up to speed with the current version of
cef. Write some proper guides on using this lib for creating game GUI
or standalone desktop application. All of that is nice and well to
wish for but it is quite a lot of frankly not very fun work. If I had
to choose I would rather spend my time working on either something fun
or something that pays the rent, so usually at this point I stop and
walk away. But this time I decided to go about it differently, and ask
for community support. I have set up a BountySource campaign [here][3]
so I could focus on making this happen. Alternatively, if that's your
thing, I have set up a bitcoin address [4].

Depending on how well this campaign will go I'm also planing on
creating a full 2D game engine... but yeah, that's in the future.

So yeah, if you'd like to help me build this please support me.

Thanks,
Max.

[1]: https://github.com/haskell-ui/cef3-raw
[2]: https://github.com/fluffynukeit/bindings-cef3
[3]: https://salt.bountysource.com/teams/haskell-ui
[4]: 1LskxSUyLDLpMCBfUUnqcRT8mEFMW511Eq

PS. I have also created a reddit thread for this proposal here
<https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/5yi1b7/cef3_bindings_and_game_dev_in_haskell/>.