[Haskell-cafe] regex and Regular Expressions Libraries

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Thu Mar 9 19:06:32 UTC 2017

Dear Haskell Cafe,

With the regex announcement, I wanted to try get other folks' perspective
on what has been happening with the Haskell regular expression libraries.

I have been in turn impressed at how good the engineering of the Regex
packages while gobsmacked by how difficult the traditional Text.Regex API
is to use.

In this blog post,

    http://engineers.irisconnect.net/posts/2017-03-07-regex.html

I rather cheekily speculate that the Haskellers perhaps have been a bit
disdainful of regular expressions (not important in a language capable
of doing proper parsing, etc.).

What do you think?

Chris