[Haskell-cafe] Inlinable (>>>)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Mar 4 19:13:33 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 04.03.2017, 22:28 +0530 schrieb Saurabh Nanda:
> I had a similar WTF moment when I noticed that Lucid's HtmlT over IO
> was 2x slower than HtmlT over Reader/Identity. Discussions over this
> mailing list pointed to the lack of INLINE pragmas on various
> functions, like >>=
>
> It was finally resolved via a liberal sprinkling of INLINE -- https:/
> /github.com/chrisdone/lucid/pull/67/files
>
> Why can't GHC automatically consider *every* function as INLINABLE?
> Let the GHC heuristics decide what is worthy of being inlined. What's
> the downside?

the original post was about INLINEABLE not INLINE – let’s keep these
two apart.

INLINEABLE says: „Dear compiler, keep the definition of this function
in the interface so that you can, maybe, inline (or specialize) it
later.“

INLINE implies INLINEABLE, but also says: „…, and really do inline it“.

BTW, there is a flag -fexpose-all-unfoldings that effectively add
INLINEABLE to all functions.

Greetings,
Joachim

--