[Haskell-cafe] I think we should stop "fixing" other people's packages on Hackage silently

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Jun 23 20:13:00 UTC 2017

Am 23.06.2017 um 10:27 schrieb Benno Fünfstück:
> Why would it need to be included in the version number? Note that,
> compared to version numbers, the revision number does not take part in
> dependency resolution (cabal always picks the latest revision AFAIK)

Dependencies specify minimum and/or maximum revisions, so revision
ordering is really important.

> I suggest that cabal should print something like:
>
> Building foo-1.2.3 (revision 2)
>
> If it uses a revision. This does not require the version number to
> change, it only changes the output of cabal so it should be
> uncontroversial and simple to implement.

I'm feeling uneasy about that, for various reasons.
1) "Revision" is a somewhat vague terminology here. It's unclear what
kind of revision, and how that's different from a version. From what I
gather, it's essentially just a sub-version of 1.2.3 created by the
Hackage people instead of original upstream.
2) Having a version and a revision works fine if there are two parties
involved (in this case: upstream and Hackage guys). The approach doesn't
scale to more parties, which is rare but does happen.
3) Also, "revision" might not just cut it. E.g. Maven (Java's moral
equivalent of Hackage) offers two kinds of modules, productive (never
ever change) and snapshot (may change at the drop of the hat), and
snapshot versions/revisions are simply marked by a SNAPSHOT part in the
version number. If a repository offers more module categories, it will
want to differentiate between them; since the set of categories may grow
over time, and different repositories may offer different categories,
you want that to be extensible.

Essentially, it boils down to "there should a single identifier for a
specific build of a module, let's call that the module version; and
different repositories may have different needs so a mere integer list
doesn't but it".

 From another perspective, allowing strings in versions subsumes tags,
but in a semantically clean way.

Just my 2 cents.