[Haskell-cafe] rts nursery and stopping the world minor gc

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Thu Jun 8 20:01:01 UTC 2017

Simon Marlow wrote a paper about this issue a few years ago.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/local-gc.pdf

The conclusion IIRC was that while maintaining thread-local heaps could
reduce the amount of time spent in GC, the benefit was surprisingly
small, and came at a sizable cost in code complexity. So GHC HQ decided
it was not worth merging at the time. I don't know if there's been any
work on that front since the paper though.