[Haskell-cafe] Bug in GHC or cabal-install?

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Wed Jun 7 11:56:12 UTC 2017

This sounds like a Cabal bug to me. A few things to try:

- Can you post a -v3 log of the second cabal install force
  reinstall somewhere?  It sounds like we are incorrectly
  attempting to use the wrong version of Cabal to build the
  Setup script, and a -v3 log would help confirm.

- Are you on Ubuntu?  If you could install and test a cabal-install-head
  binary from https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc
  that would be helpful to find out if we've fixed this bug
  already.

- If you want to file a bug, please do so in the Cabal
  bug tracker https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues
  Thanks!

Cheers,
Edward

Excerpts from Henk-Jan van Tuyl's message of 2017-06-04 11:45:58 +0200: