[Haskell-cafe] Bug in GHC or cabal-install?

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Sun Jun 4 09:45:58 UTC 2017

L.S.,

I am trying the prerelease of GHC, version 8.2.0.20170507

I adapted wxHaskell to the new packages that come with the new GHC and it
compiles now, but only the first time. If I compile it a second time, even
if nothing has changed, the information from the custom-setup section of
the wxc.cabal file seems to be forgotten. This section looks like this:

custom-setup
   setup-depends:
     base,
     Cabal < 2,
     containers,
     bytestring,
     split,
     process,
     directory,
     filepath
(I am using cabal-install 1.24.0.2)

Output from the second time I try to install wxHaskell:

> cabal install --force-reinstalls --reinstall wxdirect wxc wxcore wx
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             (
X:\Temp\wxHaskell\wxcore\dist\setup\setup.hs,
X:\Temp\wxHaskell\wxcore\dist\setup\Main.o )
Linking X:\Temp\wxHaskell\wxcore\dist\setup\setup.exe ...
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             (
X:\Temp\wxHaskell\wxc\dist\setup\setup.hs,
X:\Temp\wxHaskell\wxc\dist\setup\Main.o )

X:\Temp\wxHaskell\wxc\dist\setup\setup.hs:505:61: error:
                       Variable not in scope: versionBranch :: Version ->
[a0]

505 |           full_ver = (concat . intersperse "." . map show .
versionBranch) ver

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This error message indicates that the wrong version of Cabal (2.0) is used
to compile the wxcore setup.hs
It looks like a cabal-install bug, but this does not happen when I
use GHC 8.0.2; should I write a GHC bug ticket?

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
Folding at home