[Haskell-cafe] What can be UNPACK'ed?

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Fri Jul 28 15:01:02 UTC 2017

Afaik, you couldn't UNPACK a list in the past because it's a sum type, and
sum types could not be unpacked. That has changed with the latest GHC, so
maybe that now works.

I'm pretty certain you can't unpack polymorphic fields, and this is why
libraries such as `ad` offer a polymorphic version, and a version
specialized to a particular type:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ad-4.3.3/docs/Numeric-AD-Mode-Forward.html
- polymorphic
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ad-4.3.3/docs/Numeric-AD-Mode-Forward-Double.html
- specialized to Double and significantly faster

Does that help?