[Haskell-cafe] I'm afraid of OverloadedLabels

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Mon Jul 10 01:55:25 UTC 2017

> On Sun Jul 9 21:04:33 UTC 2017, MarLinn wrote:

> Isn't it about time to allow explicit imports, and more
importantly,
> explicit non-imports for instances?
> Some time ago I fantasised about some special syntax for
this,
> calling the (very rough) idea "aspects" ...

Sorry, I didn't realise that "aspects" thread
was about controlling instance scope.
I did try to start a thread on instance scope
a few days ago
https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2017-July/127435.html

I am interested in use cases for scope-controlling
instances.

Specifically I'm not seeing how scoping instances
(instances of what, exactly?) helps with the "record
problem".
Typically if you have several record types with the
same-named field,
you want all of those to be in scope, where the field-access
gets resolved according to the record's type.

The `DuplicateRecordFields` extension now provides
reasonable support for that, doesn't it?

AntC