[Haskell-cafe] I'm afraid of OverloadedLabels.

Alexis King lexi.lambda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 20:37:23 UTC 2017

> On Jul 9, 2017, at 10:36, Ertugrul Söylemez <esz at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> AND PLEASE not the way an [existing proposal] suggests to do it!
> Please let's just do ad-hoc overloading.  There is no reason to
> introduce new syntax, because syntax is completely orthogonal to this
> problem.
>
> [existing proposal]:
> https://prime.haskell.org/wiki/TypeDirectedNameResolution

If I understand correctly, what you’re proposing is the “syntax-free”
variant of TDNR, which is already outlined here:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/SyntaxFreeTypeDirectedNameResolution

I agree that would be a very nice feature to have, and I think doing it
without new syntax would be strongly preferable to adding new syntax.
The proposal outlines the basics of how it would work, but I have no
idea how difficult it would be to implement in practice.