[Haskell-cafe] Encrypting streamed data

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Thu Jul 6 07:23:44 UTC 2017

Apologies, just seen the bit about wanting to pass the key in directly
rather than using the GPG keyring because there are no email addresses
attached to your various keys.

Maybe a silly question, but can you give them email addresses to identify
them in a GPG-compatible manner? They don't have to have associated
mailboxes so the addresses can be totally made-up.

If not, I'd probably start to look to something like openssl to do the
symmetric encryption and manage the keys for that separately. It looks
possible to build a streaming AES implementation using the nonstreaming
functions in `cryptonite`, but the usual recommendation is that its far too
risky to do any low-level crypto yourself so this seems like a bad idea.