[Haskell-cafe] Ensuring all values of an ADT are explicitly handled OR finding all occurrences of type X in my app

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:31:43 UTC 2017

I feel like there's no good technical solution here. For example, this is
potentially dangerous in the face of a changing data type, but presumably
wouldn't fall under the definition of a "default branch":

data T = A | B -- Later, C could be added which might need special handling
case ... of
  [] -> ...
  (A : xs) -> ...
  (_ : xs) -> ...

On the other hand, this would presumably be a "default branch" but I
challenge you to replace the wildcard pattern with an exhaustive list of
pattern matches:

case ... of
  0 -> ...
  1 -> ...
  _ -> ...

Of course this is a special case, but there are many data types in the wild
with a large number of constructors: think of generated enumerations, for
example.

I'd say education is the best option here. I thought wildcards were
convenient, until I realized their effect on maintainability in the face of
future data type changes.

Erik