[Haskell-cafe] Ensuring all values of an ADT are explicitly handled OR finding all occurrences of type X in my app

Saurabh Nanda saurabhnanda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 02:47:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

If I have the following ADT

data BookingState = Confirmed | Cancelled

which had a very high chance of being expanded in the future to have more
values. How do I ensure that every pattern match on BookingState matches
each value explicitly. Basically prevent the '_' matcher ?

If that is not possible, is the following possible instead: evolve
BookingState and then find all possible occurrences of values of
BookingState throughout my app?

I'm basically trying to make sure that any a newly added state, which may
require special-case handling is not automatically handled by the '_'
branch.

-- Saurabh.