[Haskell-cafe] Bug-free, leak-free, battle-tested library for broadcast channels?

Saurabh Nanda saurabhnanda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 05:39:32 UTC 2017

> broadcast-chan does the exact same thing as 'newBroadcastTChan' from
> Control.Concurrent.STM.TChan, that is your original Chan contains a "write"
> end only, and not a read end, the end result of that is: If you create a
> new write channel any message you write into it will, if there are no
> listeners, be immediately dropped and GCed. If you create "read" ends, then
> each read end will receive every message written into the write end, as
> long as the read end is active. So if you create 5 workers with a new read
> end each, then every message written after those have been created will be
> seen by all workers.

If broadcast-chan does the exact same thing as broadcastTChan, why the need
for a new library? This is what I'm trying to understand at the discussion
on Reddit [1]. Would you prefer the mailing list or Reddit for the
discussion?

[1]
https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/5pnd9i/bugfree_leakfree_battletested_library_for/dct14rx/