[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Jan 25 04:36:35 UTC 2017

>>> I note that a company I worked for refused to have any GPL software
>>> on their machines, even GCC, due to legal advice.  That was a couple
>>> of revisions of the GPL ago, but some scars last.
>> By "some scars last", do you mean "I'll stay away from that company"?
> No, of course not.  The key point was that we were a small company
> and would not have survived a law suit, win or lose.

I don't follow: the "keep away from GPL" stance seems to only make sense
in the context of a very large corporation where the potential benefit
of that one little tool (GHC) is dwarfed by the general risk of using
things whose license can't be controlled via money.

In the context of a small company, rather than a general stance, I'd
expect it is worth looking at each specific case (since that one tool
would likely represent a more significant portion of the overall set of
tools in use), and drop the hysteria.

Reality check: Has anyone ever heard of a company sued because they use
a GPL'd tool?  Ever?  How 'bout in your wildest dream, maybe?

        Stefan