[Haskell-cafe] Suggestions for "Advanced" Topics for Haskell-based Class

Sergiu Ivanov sivanov at colimite.fr
Tue Jan 24 21:32:29 UTC 2017

Hello Conrad,

Thus quoth  Conrad Cunningham  at 20:53 on Tue, Jan 24 2017:

> Because I am teaching this in a "multiparadigm programming" course, I want
> to expand beyond what I have usually covered in the Haskell-based
> "functional programming" course and cover a few topics in areas such as
> parallel, concurrent, distributed, reactive, or metaprogramming
> (domain-specific languages, Template Haskell, etc.).
>
> Assuming my course has more or less covered the topics in *Learn You a
> Haskell for Great Good *(with likely shallow coverage of monads) at that
> point, what would be good additional topics to cover, libraries to use, and
> tutorial or teaching resources to use?

I've been teaching Haskell for beginners for some (relatively short)
time, and it seems to me that parallel and concurrent programming may be
one very good additional topic.

I particularly like Simon Marlow's tutorial "Parallel and Concurrent
Programming in Haskell" [0]: it's very well written and gives some clear
practical examples.

--
Sergiu

[0] http://community.haskell.org/~simonmar/par-tutorial.pdf