[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Jan 23 20:10:10 UTC 2017

Am 23.01.2017 um 01:48 schrieb ok at cs.otago.ac.nz:

>>> GNU's cpp is not the only one around.
>>
>> I did not mean to suggest that.
>> Fine. What is the point you want to make with that listing?
>
> I read you as saying that it was inappropriate to use any
> other licence before GCC's preprocessor is GPL-licensed,
> and I was making the point that alternatives (including
> proprietary and free) with different license are available.

Right. So my argument about GNU cpp was not valid, since, in principle
at least, there are non-GPL alternatives.

How does that work in practice? What are people using on e.g. Windows as
GHC's C-backend to avoid GPL? I venture that the native (Microsoft's) C
compiler does not enter the picture here, it does not even support C90.
Perhaps they use the LLVM backend?

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." ― Scott Adams