[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:21:33 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz>
wrote:

> On 19/01/17 12:04 PM, Ben Franksen wrote:
>
>> Besides, GNU's cpp is certainly GPL licensed; I wonder why different
>> standards are applied here.
>>

> GNU's cpp is not the only one around.

Which gets at the real point: these compilers come with the system or are
otherwise provided by the vendor for more general purposes. (If someone
downloaded icc and used its cpp, monitoring license compliance is their
problem). Someone with corporate lawyers to satisfy may well need to avoid
GPL, so they would use neither gcc nor cpphs (but the alternatives after
that are few on the ground, given that clang's cpp doesn't like being
abused for Haskell source...).