[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Wed Jan 18 23:04:47 UTC 2017

Am 18.01.2017 um 23:43 schrieb Brandon Allbery:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 20.08.2016 um 20:33 schrieb Brandon Allbery:
>>> You might want to look at cpphs as an alternative preprocessor. There are
>>> some ancient K&R-era hacks that could be used if absolutely necessary,
>> but
>>> cpphs should be a much simpler and cleaner solution.
>>
>> Is there any reason /not/ to prefer cpphs over cpp? If not, why does
>> anyone still use cpp for Haskell?
>>

> Licensing.

http://projects.haskell.org/cpphs/ says:

"""
License: The library modules in cpphs are distributed under the terms of
the LGPL (see file LICENCE-LGPL for more details). If that's a problem
for you, contact me to make other arrangements. The application module
'cpphs.hs' itself is GPL (see file LICENCE-GPL). If you have a
commercial use for cpphs and find the terms of the (L)GPL too onerous,
you can instead choose to distribute unmodified binaries (not source),
under the terms of LICENCE-commercial
"""

I can't see how this would inconvenience anyone.

Besides, GNU's cpp is certainly GPL licensed; I wonder why different
standards are applied here.

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." ― Scott Adams