[Haskell-cafe] Hyper-recursion?

Lawrence Bottorff borgauf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 01:11:15 UTC 2017

I guess I'm using a looser definition of recursion, something not exactly
"self-referential." For example, I'm on the phone with someone, and then I
accept a call-waiting call. You can go into multiple depths of call
waiting, then wind your way back out as you hang up on each -- all the way
back to the original caller. Or, with my example, I could have a state
represented as some polynomial, a_nx^n + a_n-1x^(n-1) + . . ., then a
"change" happens when a new polynomial "goes into" the first,

a_n(b_ny^n + b_n-1y^n-1 + ...)^n + a_n-1x^n-1 ...

This could go on and on, new polynomials substituted into one of the
variables of the previous. All I want to say with this is that I consider
this also recursive in nature, even though I can't imagine how this would
be "self-referential" or looking typically inductive.

I'm not a expert on the whole Bitcoin blockchain, but your (Olaf)

now = change 0 . change (-1) . change (-2) . {...ad infinitum}

looks like one. And no, there shouldn't be a clock, per se. Yes, parcels
would be polygons, with sides shared -- although this isn't germane to the
bigger question.