[Haskell-cafe] Hyper-recursion?

Lawrence Bottorff borgauf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:56:33 UTC 2017

@Albert Y. C. Lai, Yes, I'll look into open recursion.

@Anthony Clayden, I like the idea of the directed graph, no matter what the
final answer. Land parcel changes can be seen as hierarchical trees growing
branches -- until something needs to jump to another tree -- or a tree
pruned and moved to a new home. The WWW is a great example of this, i.e., a
DOM page inside a hierarchical site -- with links jumping outside. True,
the splitting and recombining of parcels goes on forever. But I see that as
recursion, like one of the classic examples, "infinite mirrors" (the
cascading layers produced when two mirrors face one another and you stand
in the middle). Basically, anything that is changing is bifurcating and,
thus, can be seen as recursion -- whether it "comes back" or not.

Programs "execute," which means they do steps, and then they're through and
give an answer or result. They leave logs, paper printouts, new things on
the disk, answers on the screen, etc. These are terminating discrete events
-- with no natural sense of connection other than piping to a next discrete
step or a historical recounting we set up ("chess software, show me my last
two moves."). Sure, looped GUI apps or your bash terminal or a REPL place a
wrappers around this; but there is no concept of having an event be just
one layer of the persistent mirror stack. Of course my infinite mirrors
analogy breaks down, because progressing from one layer to the next can
totally reshape the whole landscape, like completing a row in Tetris can
collapse lots of real estate instantly. And yet with today's Tetris (or
chess) software, what you see is just a graphical of the continually
updated memory field underneath. Again, any chaining of the events or
remembering a previous state is unnatural, intentional after-the-fact
incursion we have done, not a look at a truly stateless, timeless
"unfolding." This may be getting a bit theoretical, but consider the WWW.
It grows like an organism -- and, surely, not inside a "program" doing it,
imposing direction; there's no program stepping through tasks, no loop
creating sites and pages. This is recursion in the wild. For that matter,
life is recursion in the wild.

Maybe software simply can't go there. The best we can do is have stuff live
in a REPL session; but I'm not sure a REPL could be true hyper-recursion.

I harp on all this because if Haskell is stateless/immutable and in total
disregard of any underlying memory field, then it seems it should progress
to hyper-recursion. All examples like parcel maps, Tetris screens, chess
apps changing -- is just -- as I said above -- graphical views of an
underlying memory field's undoubtedly destructive overwriting. I guess I'm
asking, What is the opposite of this? What would we have if the memory
field wasn't changing state? The most obvious answer would be -- a runaway
memory leak. But could we avoid the runaway memory consumption, but have
the "unfolding," the statelessness by some comp-sci sleight of hand?