[Haskell-cafe] dynamic code compilation and loading

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 23:38:42 UTC 2017

I used to use hint for a somewhat similar situation (I wanted to give
a REPL to my program, which incidentally is also concerned with
interpreting music).  I found that hint didn't give enough control (it
wanted to reload everything on every expression, instead of only
reloading when I told it to) and it was too hard to dig through it's
ghc compatibility layers, so I directly used the GHC API and it was a
lot easier than expected.

However, that's for inserting code into a running program.  If you
want to just run a function to transform a Score, couldn't you just
load the support modules in ghci, and run the main function from
there?  Change the source, type :r, and type 'main' again.  You could
hook up your editor to that automatically on every save.

By the way, I'm also interested in expressive score realization, since
I'm doing something similar, though in my case I'm using a custom
score format rather than staff notation.  If you have anything to show
off I'd be interested to see.