[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] powermate-1.0

Patrick Pelletier code at funwithsoftware.org
Tue Jan 10 04:10:59 UTC 2017

As the new maintainer of the "powermate" package, I'm pleased to
announce the first new release in nearly 9 years!

This library is for interfacing the Griffin PowerMate USB (a big silver
knob you can turn and click) with Haskell on Linux.  You can read events
from the PowerMate, and control the brightness, pulse speed, and pulse
waveform of the built-in blue LED.

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/powermate-1.0
https://github.com/ppelleti/powermate

Version 1.0 is a major release with some breaking changes.  The complete
list of changes since version 0.1 is:

* Now works with GHC 7.2.2 - 8.0.1.

* Added Eq, Ord, Show, and Read instances for Event and Status.

* Added example programs powermate-print and powermate-pulse.

* Added documentation.

* An open PowerMate is now represented by the opaque type 'PowerMate'
   instead of 'Handle'.  A new function 'closeDevice' exists to close
   the opaque 'PowerMate' type.

* Fixed a bug where the PowerMate would get confused and start
   dropping button presses if you set the LED.

* Removed extraneous printing to stdout.

* Removed getUSBName and readEventWithSkip; I didn't see the utility
   in these functions.

* readEvent no longer returns a Maybe.  There was no meaning to
   'Nothing' and it just had to be ignored.

* Removed the MPD module.  It wasn't directly related to the PowerMate
   functionality, and the "libmpd" package seems to be an alternative
   which is more complete and better maintained.

--Patrick