[Haskell-cafe] Call For Presentations: Compose 2017, New York, May 18-19

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:21:21 UTC 2017

Compose is a conference for typed functional programmers, focused
specifically on Haskell, OCaml, F#, SML, and related technologies. It will
be held in New York on Thursday and Friday, May 18-19, 2017.
Registration will be open shortly.

http://www.composeconference.org/2017

To get a sense of Compose, you can check out the great talks from
past conferences: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pEknZxL7Q1j0Ok8qImWdQ

Below is our call for presentations. We recognize the deadline is
tight, so feel free to submit proposals and ideas on the less-polished
side.

http://www.composeconference.org/2016/cfp/

***

The audience for Compose is Haskell, OCaml, F#, or SML developers who
are looking to increase their skills or learn new technologies and
libraries. Presentations should be aimed at teaching or introducing
new ideas or tools. We are also interested in presentations aiming at
taking complex concepts, such as program derivation, and putting them
into productive use. However proposals on anything that you suspect
our audience may find interesting are welcome. The following are some
of the types of talks we would welcome:

Library/Tool Talks — Exploring the uses of a powerful toolkit or
library, be it for parsing, testing, data access and analysis, or
anything else.

Production Systems — Experience reports on deploying functional
techniques in real systems; insights revealed, mistakes made, lessons
learned.

Theory made Practical — Just because it’s locked away in papers
doesn’t mean it’s hard! Accessible lectures on classic results and why
they matter to us today. Such talks can include simply introducing the
principles of a field of research so as to help the audience read up
on it in the future; from abstract machines to program derivation to
branch-and-bound algorithms, the sky’s the limit.

We also welcome proposals for more formal tutorials. Tutorials should
be aimed at a smaller audience of beginner-to-novice understanding,
and ideally include hands-on exercises.

The due date for submissions is March 23, 2017. We will send out
notice of acceptance by March 30th. We prefer that submissions be via
the EasyChair website
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=compose2017). Please suggest
a title, and describe the topic you intend to speak on. Talks can be
either 30 or 45 minutes, please indicate how much time you would
prefer to take.

Additional information may be included on both your expertise and the
interesting elements of your topic, going on what might be included in
a public abstract. Furthermore, if your abstract doesn't feel
"final"—don't worry! We'll work with you to polish it up. If you want
to discuss your proposal(s) before submitting, or to further nail down
what you intend to speak on, please feel free to contact us at
info at composeconference.org. We're happy to work with you, even if you
are a new or inexperienced speaker, to help your talk be great.

***

Diversity

We would like to put an emphasis on soliciting a diverse set of
speakers - anything you can do to distribute information about this
CFP and encourage submissions from under-represented groups would be
greatly appreciated. We welcome your contributions and encourage you
to apply!

Best,
Gershom