[Haskell-cafe] What does "1 = 2" mean in Haskell?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 03:51:21 UTC 2017

Without a binding it is useless at top level, but if you strictify the
pattern it can be useful in `let` (possibly as a sanity check where you
want the program to abort if it fails). I don't recall offhand if it
desugars usefully in list comprehensions, but if so it would work as a
filter. There may also be other specialized use cases; general syntax tends
to get reused a lot in Haskell, so making this case a syntax error could
make it difficult to support actually useful cases. :)

(Also I'm sure someone overly clever could figure out some way to abuse it.
:)