[Haskell-cafe] What does "1 = 2" mean in Haskell?

Harendra Kumar harendra.kumar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 02:05:08 UTC 2017

Kids have this amazing ability to break any toy in minutes. I gave my seven
year old daughter ghci to play with and in a little while she said it is
broken:

>> let 1 = 2

>> 1

1

Earlier, I had explained to her about symbols and assigning values to
symbols, and I said numbers are not symbols. But when she came up with this
I could not explain what's going on. How can "1 = 2" be a valid equation?
Am I missing something fundamental here, or it is just broken?

-harendra